Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Summer Reading Suggestions

Girl Reading on a Park Bench
Hello everyone!

Last week, I did a post about my summer reading list and what I plan to read this summer.  I make my list out each year with whatever happens to catch my eye as far as books go.  If you're looking for some books to add to your summer reading list, here's a few that I would suggest.  These suggestions are rather eclectic because that's the way that I read. 

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins -  I'm sure that you've heard about this trilogy by now.  You've probably heard that once you start reading it, you won't be able to put it down until you've finished.  This is completely true.  I would suggest these novels for anyone, but if you're especially into dystopias, you should read this.  Also, the movie based on the series comes out in March 2012.  It's best to go ahead and read the books now.  If you wait too late and read the books too close to the release of the movies, you'll be annoyed by all of the changes made in the movie.  Happens every time.

The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley - This book is one of my favorites.  It won a Newbery Honor so obviously other people agree with me about how good it is.  If you enjoy fantasy novels, you will enjoy this one.  The plot features a not annoying young female protagonist which is a nice change.  However, the best part of the novel is the detail that McKinley goes into while creating another world.  This book will draw you in and delight you.

The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley - This one is kind of a prequel to The Blue Sword even though both books can be read on their own.  Some people might complain that the pace of the novel moves slowly, but if you take the time to slow down and lost yourself in the narrative, you will find this book amazing.

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell - I do realize that this book is extremely long at 900+ pages.  You don't have to read it all at once though.  I haven't seen the movie, but even at 4 hours, I'm certain that it can't capture the richness of the story on the pages.  I would suggest that you read this once because there is a reason why it is a classic. 

Dracula by Bram Stroker - Vampire fiction has been very in vogue lately.  As you are probably aware some of it is very, very not good.  So why would you want to read one of the best know vampire novels?  Because this one is actually quite good.  Forget what you've seen in every horrible Dracula movie and read this classic. 

Home: A Memoir of My Early Years by Julie Andrews - If you are looking for a biography to pick up this summer and you haven't already read this one, then you should.  In this memoir, Andrews recounts the early years of her life, how she got her start at a young age, and her success on the musical stage long before she became a film star.  I am completely amazed by Julie Andrews and her talent.

These are just a few of my suggestions.  If you'd like some more, feel free to ask.  What do you suggest as reading for this summer?

Have a lovely day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...